Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Baby #2: 31 Weeks and some Hypnobabies highlights

Now that it's getting colder and getting closer to Halloween and the other holidays, my due date is feeling more and more imminent. I am 31 weeks today! 9 weeks to go until Christmas. I'm getting really excited to meet the baby and to be done with being pregnant! I'm so ready to get this weight off and start running and moving again! I'm obviously getting bigger and slower and even though I'm trying to walk and stretch a lot, I am truly looking forward to a real workout whenever I can start that up again!

I'm feeling pretty good, honestly. Yes I'm 8 months pregnant so things hurt and I have some discomfort, but we're getting so close! I am sleeping pretty well, but of course I have my nights where I can't get comfortable. 

Something that is making a huge difference in my sleep is the fact that I'm listening to my Hypnobabies tracks each night. So instead of trying to fall asleep with a thousand random thoughts and worries in my head, I doze off with positive thoughts about the birth or guided relaxation and hypnosis. I love it! I was pretty dubious in the beginning (as I am with most things, being the analytical skeptic that I am) but I truly believe that I am going to have a wonderful birth and that Hypnobabies will help me deal with the fear that I have leftover from Lila's delivery! 

Ok, I know what you must be thinking... seriously? The only way Lindsay can give birth is by being hypnotized?! What a crock.  Yeah, I was there, too.  I was very skeptical. First, this is NOT what you think of when you think of hypnosis. I'm not going to be under someone's hypnotic control and unable to think, talk, or move around for myself.  Hypnobabies is self-hypnosis which allows me to be mobile, open my eyes, and to go in and out of a deeply relaxed state when my pressure waves come and go.  I am able to come in and out of hypnosis at my choosing. I have tracks to listen to to prepare for birthing time and also specific tracks to only listen to when the actual birthing time begins. There are even tracks you can download for VBAC, stopping pre-term labor, helping with nausea and one called "Come Out Baby!" which I just might have to order if we are approaching 41 weeks again this time.

One simple thing I've learned with my two weeks of Hypnobabies practice is the power of positive thoughts and also positive language and phrasing. Instead of contractions, I will experience pressure waves or birthing waves. Labor is called birthing time and words like pain/hard/etc. are rephrased positively such as strong, powerful, intense, etc. I am also protecting myself from negative thoughts and birth stories and I'm trying to only surround myself with people and stories that are positive and uplifting and supportive. 

I also wanted to share some of my favorite positive pregnancy affirmations. These are from the Joyful Pregnancy Affirmations track that I have listened to every single day since I started Hypnobabies and plan to until birthing time. It's a 33 min track of positive statements about pregnancy and birth and I can't tell you how much it's helped me, especially the sentences in bold!

 I deserve an easy and completely comfortable birthing.
 With every breath I exhale from now on, I feel more confident.
 I stay centered and balanced in my birthing time.
 This is a new birth and a new baby, unique unto itself.
 Through birth, I find healing.
 My job is to simply relax and allow my baby's birth to happen.
 I see myself birthing beautifully, calmly and with confidence.
 I look forward to giving birth with happiness and excitement.  
 I deserve to have an easy and completely comfortable birthing, and I will!

---

I plan to share more about Hypnobabies as I move through the program. But so far, I am really loving how much it is preparing me for my birthing time. It's much more than just the tracks and hypnosis itself, but there are readings and a lot of other information including nutrition and exercises that are extremely helpful as well.

Here is my update pic for 31 weeks, and my first cold weather outfit! It was cold enough today to wear gloves. And yes, I'm pretty sure my face is getting fat/swollen! Ugh! I'm reminded of another positive affirmation: "I love my pregnant body and accept it everyday!" I'm really trying!


No comments:

Post a Comment