Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Birth Story: Part 2

This is Part 2 of Lila's birth story. Read Part 1 first!

So.. after multiple issues with Lila's heart rate, the doctor said we had to have a c-section. She gave me the news while Neil was out of the room.

Apparently when Neil was in the cafeteria eating breakfast, he got a bad feeling and rushed back up to the room. Well, he returned to a nurse handing him his scrubs and hat for surgery. I think he probably felt as scared and overwhelmed as I did. I remember him reassuring me that it would be okay, and that we would meet Lila soon.

The rest is really fuzzy, but they wheeled me into the OR, redosed my epidural, put my arms straight out at my sides and started with the c-section. Neil was right there telling me everything was okay, and the midwife from the OB practice was reassuring me as well and telling me what was happening.

I couldn’t tell when they were cutting me, but I could tell when they were pulling her out. I felt crazy pressure and tugging. Then, at 10:13 AM she was out! They didn’t show me her right away like they do on a Baby Story. I actually didn’t see her until about 10 minutes after she was born. Anyway, right as they got her out, everyone in the room started going crazy about how tangled she was in her cord. Apparently it was completely wrapped around her: multiple times around the neck, body and through the legs. They unwrapped her and took her to the table to get her cleaned up.

Lila scored an 8, then a 9 on her Apgar test and I finally heard her cry! It was an amazing feeling knowing she was here and okay. Neil kept me updated on what they were doing and how she looked. They were still stitching me up and everything so I couldn’t see Lila. Neil was taking photos and video the whole time, thankfully. I remember him telling me the height and weight and that she had hair! I was shocked about that.

Finally, I got to see my baby girl. It was an amazing moment to see Neil holding her and to finally look at her face. I really did love her instantly.

We were in the hospital for 3 nights, which was no fun, but I needed the recovery time and it was really helpful to have the help of the nurses and lactation consultants. I felt pretty crappy after the surgery. I had so much fluid pumped into me and I was swollen and sore. The first day or so I still had a catheter, an IV and these compression things on my legs. The first night they made me sit up in a chair for a ½ an hour and that was really hard! Neil was amazing through the whole thing. He literally changed every diaper and did everything for Lila and for me for the first few days. He helped me get to the bathroom and shower for the first time after surgery. He was incredible!

Now, a month later, I’m feeling really good. I can drive, go up and down stairs and I’ve been going on daily walks with Lila in the stroller. My recovery has been great. My incision is healing well, and I can honestly say it is less of a concern to me than my stretch marks!

Sometimes I feel a little robbed of my birth experience and a bit jealous of other ladies who were able to deliver naturally. But on the other hand, I’m really glad I didn’t have to push her out and recover from that and possibly have a harder time with a vaginal birth. My doctor said for the next child I will definitely be able to have a vaginal birth if I want, but honestly, I might have another c-section since it’s what I know and it really wasn’t that terrible, all in all.

The most important thing is my sweet daughter arrived safely and is perfect and healthy! We love her so much and I couldn’t imagine life without her.

1 comment:

  1. Lindsay, thank you for sharing this! As we're getting so close to delivery, it's really helpful to know of a c-section story that was positive. Many of my coworkers have said terrible things about the recovery from a c-section, and it makes me feel better to know that you're doing so well and walking!