Monday, October 18, 2010

Doctor's appt fun and 23 weeks today!

One thing I've learned from my doctor's appointment this past Friday, is not to let the nurse weigh you and then take your blood pressure! It was a chilly day on Friday and I had on a bulky sweater and clunky heavy boots, and even though I had weighed myself that morning this freaking scale weighed me in at 6 lbs heavier than I weighed just hours before! I thought I was going to have a stroke. Then they took my blood pressure - which was sky high because I was freaking out about my weight. The scale at the doctor's office is always about 2 lbs heavier than my home scale, but the number that came up this time was so shocking I thought I was going to die!! They ended up taking my BP again about 10 minutes later, and it was back to around my normal 120/70.

So anyway after the weigh-in trauma and after the nurse found Lila's heartbeat (140s) she sent the doctor in. She was really nice and lovely and asked me all about my ultrasound at the last appointment, how I was doing, etc.. And then she said, wow your weight went way up this time! I gestured to my boots and tried to explain why I thought the scale was off. She totally understood and said not to worry about it. Well, the rest of the appointment went fine, and as soon as I got home I took off my boots and weighed myself - 4 lbs lighter than what I just weighed. Then the next morning I was back to "normal" - about a 14 lb total weight gain since June - and 6 lbs gained in the last month. The recommended per month gain is 4lbs, so I do want to watch my weight a little bit more this month. I need to make sure I'm not eating too many sweets and carbs and that I'm getting in my veggies. I've also not been as good with working out, so I want to make sure I'm keeping up with that.

Anyway, I hate the scale. I am really scared/concerned about gaining too much weight, but of course I know I can't diet and I need to make sure Lila is getting all the nutrition she needs. I just want to make sure I can get the weight off next year after she comes. My goal is to gain no more than 4 lbs by my next appointment on Nov. 11. That way I'll be back on track!

So, here I am snacking on some almonds. I'm 23 weeks today. Everything is going really great. I just had a really nice weekend with Neil, I'm feeling great, and I can't believe we're nearing the end of October. The fall and my pregnancy are FLYING by.

Lila is well over a pound now, probably a pound and 1/2. She is the length of an ear of corn! I'm getting really excited about meeting her soon. I think about what she might look like, what her little personality might be, and how she is going to fit into our lives. Sometimes I just imagine she's already here and it makes me really excited. Every once in a while when I'm in the car I look into the backseat and imagine her sitting in her car seat looking back at me (yes, I know she won't be front facing for along time)! I'm just ready for her to be here!

We are trying to finalize the decision on our car seat/stroller choice. At first we thought about a Chicco travel system, but I think now we are leaning toward a Chicco car seat and a separate jogging stroller (I'd love a BOB or Phil & Ted's but they are waaay too pricey. We are thinking an InStep or Jeep). I want a really sturdy stroller for walking/jogging around the neighborhood, so I'm thinking the jogger is the way to go. The only downside to it is that its bulky and heavy. I figure we will mostly have Lila in her infant car seat or a wrap/carrier when we go out when she is very tiny anyway, and eventually she'll be able to use a lightweight/umbrella type stroller that will be more portable. I just wish more stores had jogging strollers in-store so we could try them out.

Also, I'm hoping to get Neil to Target this week to finalize our baby registry! I've put some stuff on it online, but I want to make sure I have some good things on there that are physically in the store too. I'm thinking Babies R Us and Target for our registries. To be honest, we already have the big items and a lot of the essentials, so it feels kinda odd to be making a registry. But I know people will start asking for it, so I better oblige!

Well, before I get too long winded, I think I'll go ahead and give my weekly update for week 23!

How Far Along: 23 weeks today.
Total Weight Gain: 14 lbs.
Maternity Clothes: I need to get some more sweaters and warmer clothes to make it through the winter. I went through my closet this weekend, I have a very limited wardrobe!
Sleep: Sleeping is just not that comfortable anymore. I feel bad for Neil because of all the pillows taking over the bed. I bought a great body pillow but I'm also putting one behind my back for support. It's just a lot of pillows! I toss and turn a lot, but the pillows are helping.
Best Moment(s) this week: Working out at the gym with Neil. It felt great to lift weights again, even though all the guys were staring at me like, "What is this pregnant chick doing in the free weights?"
Gender: Girl.
Movement: Still moving! She is getting stronger and still loves the nightlife (11pm-1am is her most active time).
Baby's heart rate this week: Low 140s.
Food Craving: Not much. Milk, yogurt and chocolate. Oh and meatballs sounded really good yesterday, but I didn't get any!
Symptoms: Symptoms are manageable. Just occasional swelling in my feet at the end of the day and my nightly heartburn.
What I miss: My fall clothes. But all my fall boots and shoes seem to fit!
What I am looking forward to: Honestly? November. October is crazy busy for me, I just can't wait until November 1st when I can relax a bit! I think November will be fun too because I'll get to see family and our childbirth classes start in the middle of the month. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment