Monday, February 1, 2010

Things Loved in January (Healthy edition)

January is never my favorite month, because I'm not exactly a fan of winter. But of course I had some things that helped me get through these first snowy gray days of 2010. And in celebration of a healthier me, here are some fitness/diet things I've been loving this month:



Because its been so cold and nasty this month, it's been really hard to get myself to the gym. But because I've been trying really hard to workout 5-6 days a week, Exercise TV has been amazing! I don't have cable, so I've just been doing the free full length videos on Exercise TV online. There are some really great videos on there - everything from strength, yoga, cardio, circuits - and they are all levels and types. Just look for the free full length video section. Some of my favorites:

Anything by Cindy Whitmarsh, especially Less is More Cardio and Booty Burn
Dorm Room Workout, it's not just for college girls!
20 Minute Dance Party is fun and perfect for those days where you want to move but not kill yourself with burpees or jumping jacks
Anything by Kendall Hogan
Lower Body Workout (Real Housewives) made my legs sore for 4 days, it hurt so good!



Almond butter is my new obsession. I've always been too cheap to buy it, but I finally caved and now I think I love it more than natural peanut butter. I bought the brand above, which is so good! Especially the crunchy. I've been eating a tablespoon in my oatmeal in the mornings but I love it on bananas, apples, bread, celery or just straight from the jar.



I've been loving some great new healthy blogs this month. I've been really inspired by a few ladies who not only eat amazing looking food everyday, but have an excellent outlook on nutrition and health. I'm realizing that depriving myself of certain foods or eating a super strict diet is just not healthy or smart for the long haul. These girls have lost weight and maintained a healthy weight while eating delicious food! I love finding new recipes and new ways to get variety into my diet. My favorites:

Carrots & Cake

Heather Eats Almond Butter
Kath Eats Real Food
The Fitnessista



I had my first Zumba experience this weekend and I LOVED it! I kind of jumped in headfirst with a 3 hour Zumba marathon fundraiser for Haiti. I burned 1600 calories! It was so fun and I actually surprised myself with how easy I caught on. I don't consider myself much of a dancer but I wasn't too shabby! My friend and I dragged our husbands along and they had a blast too! I'm definately going to seek out some Zumba classes at my local Y or at the gym at the university where I work. I would recommend it to anyone!



I've been logging my daily food and exercise on the LoseIt App on my iPod touch, and it's great! While I haven't been losing as much as I'd hoped, I'm so proud that I've logged my meals for over a month now! It's a great way to stay on track with my calories and make sure I get in my workouts most days. Definately download it if you have a Touch or iPhone!

Oh, and I just bought this tonight and I'm fully prepared for it to become my most-loved for February:

No comments:

Post a Comment